Sunday evening the Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) unanimously passed a resolution to reinstate the gender neutral housing policy of spring 2004. The policy was revoked over the summer by the Administration a few weeks before the fall semester began.

The gender neutral housing policy, crafted by the Undergraduate Residential Life Committee (URLC) with student and administrative feedback, allowed frosh to have a roommate of the opposite biological sex. Currently, only frosh of same biological sex are permitted to room together.

The WSA resolution states that the “historical rationale for same-sex roommate assignments is based upon antiquated heterosexist assumptions and obsolete concerns which no longer factor into University Housing Policy.”

The resolution asserts that there is a double standard with regard to housing since non-frosh can choose to live with anyone, regardless of their biological sex.

Additionally, the resolution criticizes the alternative of placing students who opt for gender-neutral housing in singles by pointing to the drawbacks of a single.

In response to this, the resolution states, “Single room assignments… may present unwanted financial and social burdens to first-year students.”

The goal, according to the resolution, is to create a “safe and supportive” housing environment fulfilled by the implementation of gender neutral housing free of restrictions.

WSA President Emily Polak ’05 said she is intent on demonstrating that gender neutral housing is a priority of the assembly.

“The resolution allows the WSA to officially comment about a policy that occurred over the summer when the assembly was not in session,” Polak said. “Along these lines, we are able to stand united with the student body in advocating for the approved and accepted Universal Gender Neutral Housing policy.”

Passage of the resolution will reopen discussions between the student body and the Administration, according to Polak.

The resolution was presented to the WSA by B Lake ’06, Nora Connor ’07 and Brian Brotman ’07.

“I’m really excited by the overwhelmingly positive WSA response, which is indicative of much broader student support,” Lake said. “I expected the resolution to pass, but instead of having to compromise to pass it, the WSA made the language stronger than it had been and then passed it unanimously. So my hope is that the resolution will make very clear that students understand what the policy is about and understand its importance.”

Members of the Administration have not yet had the opportunity to review the WSA resolution, but Director of University Communications Justin Harmon said he felt that work still has to be done to make gender neutral housing clear to all parties involved.

“We’ve got to try to come to a consensus as a community about how we can best accommodate all students in their broad diversity,” Harmon said.

Harmon also alluded to the confusion on the part of incoming frosh as a problem that must be solved.

“[The gender-neutral housing policy] is a concept we kind of invented. So we have to be on a wave length with the outside world,” Harmon said.

Interim Dean of the College and Vice President of the University Peter Patton, who sits on the Student Life Committee (SLC), will revisit the gender neutral housing issue at the committee’s first meeting.

“By passing the resolution, unanimously, it stands a statement of the assembly’s commitment and dedication to this issue,” Polak said.

Polak said she was disappointed by the fact that the change in policy came over the summer.

“There was a policy change over the summer that we were not involved in,” Polak said. “However, by beginning the WSA’s semester with a very strong resolution, we are creating a joint effort of WSA members and concerned students and sending out a strong message of wanting to act as a voice for the student body.”